Wednesday, October 24, 2012

Movies? Nonsense!

Dear Kira,

I have to agree with you; scripts are vastly underrated. It's like, people don't remember Lindsay Lohan's outfits in Mean Girls (yes, I succeed in relating everything back to Mean Girls) but they sure remember when Karen was like "If you're from Africa...why are you white?". In my view, the movie is no work of art without a well written script (and yes, I'm aware I just offended a lot of people by saying that). But think about it, a book can put clear mental images in your mind without using a single illustration; a picture is worth a thousand words, but a movie needs both.

So yeah, it's kind of unfair that the director and the actor gets all the credit. For example, Leonardo DiCaprio did not create the profound epicness that is Titanic, he just stood around and looked pretty (so very, very pretty).  And yet, he is what everyone remembers about that movie - oh yeah and that redheaded chick too (what was her name? Lily, Lavender, Daisy, something with flowers). But I digress. As my English 200 class would say, this is all about capitalism. It's more fair to acknowledge everyone's contribution to the movie, but in the economic sense, it needs to have a creator. Like toaster strudel needs a creator (last Mean Girls reference, I promise).

But anyway, it's almost November and you know what that means...turkey, wait, no, that's not right, I meant to say pumpkin pie, I mean NaNoWriMo. But actually, pumpkin pie. I'm really excited for my first year of participating in NaNoWriMo; I wish I had started doing it earlier. But, to be perfectly fair, I don't think I would have been able to write a novel in a month a few years ago. This is because I used to have this weird, freaky idea that you needed to be inspired to write (air quotations around inspired). To quote someone (actually, I can't remember who said this but it wasn't me), inspiration is for amateurs. At some point, you just have to suck it up and sneeze something out, you can worry about editing it later, but the most important thing is that you sit down and write. Maybe it's just me, but if I sat around waiting for inspiration to strike I would never have written this blog in the first place.

Peace out, dude, 
Maria

No comments:

Post a Comment