Thursday, July 25, 2013

Over-Booked

Dear MC,
First off, welcome, Keri! We are happy to have a fabulous new contributor to the writing blog. 

While it's not the most pleasant thing in the world to be assigned books, I've discovered some material I never would have thought to read through school. As creepy as Lord of the Flies was, it was a fascinating look at social structure and pig heads. Kids may moan and groan about having to read a book (or they may cheat and read the sparks notes instead), but there's a chance that if they give it some time, they may become engrossed in the book and actually--gasp--enjoy it! The smart route is to simply inform these kids that books are out there and that they can get a better grasp on the world they live in through literature. When 1 in 4 Americans haven't read a single book in a year, it's vital that we just spread the word that books are waiting to be read. I know that coming from academic families, we were always surrounded by books. But there are quite a few families that are not fortunate enough to have piles upon piles of bookshelves and consider television as the go-to form of entertainment. I mean, I love a fair share of television shows (New Girl, anyone?), but reading shouldn't be a backup plan. There's a vast majority of students who weren't raised to read, so they wouldn't think to pick up a book just for the fun of it.

The same goes with writing. Now, when I'm in a blah mood and am bored out of my wits, I tend to go to YouTube (I may have a slight addiction). It's only when I'm inspired that I dive into reading and writing. A friend once told his mother that I "write books when I'm bored," but I mean, he listened to Slipknot, so he loses some authority there. In a society where we view active hobbies--such as running, swimming or dancing--as productive. The hobbies that get us out in the world and moving around tend to be viewed as worthwhile, whereas the more introspective hobbies are perceived as the hermit's calling, or a polite way of saying writers have nothing to do on a Friday night. I've gotten some strange looks when people ask "oh, what do you like to do for fun?" and I answer "read and write." I might as well say I like to dance around with cakes on top of my head, and I'd probably get the same reaction.

In an instant gratification society, it's difficult to work on something that doesn't provide instant results. The writing process is rather private; I don't hop out of my room after an afternoon and pull out a shiny new book I made myself. There aren't any writing marathons (well, except NanoWriMo), nor are there "writing recitals." A novel is quite an accomplishment, but it takes months, even years, to produce the end result. Sometimes we're just too impatient to recognize the worthwhile nature of hobbies that don't mass-produce or start running around with jazz hands.

So how do we shift our views on hobbies? I have no problem with encouraging active hobbies, but not in place of the quieter, more long-term activities. While children are running around from one lesson to the next, when are they going to have time to dive into reading and writing?

Peace and Ponies,
Kira

No comments:

Post a Comment