Saturday, May 25, 2013

Reading Shaping People, or People Shaping Reading?

Dear MC,
I suppose many people ghost write because the writerly sort often does not want to be in the public eye. I mean, this isn't the case for every writer in the world, because I'm sure Lauren Conrad didn't publish her book under a modest hand. But the kind of observance a writer needs in order to be successful normally involves a certain level of distance from other people. Some people feed off ego; others feed off of anonymity. It's nice that it's a choice to not put your name out there, otherwise we'd have a lot less inspiration due to discomfort towards publicity.


Oftentimes I read people who had no problem being in the public eye. Many of my favorite writers participated in countless interviews and even had a YouTube page (cough cough John Green, cough). But as I expand to include classic literature, I realize many of the most inspiring writers were not only okay with, but wanted to be alone. As I identify more and more with these authors, it's put my whole introvert/extravert battle at (more) ease. Reading Emily Dickinson, I realize that staying completely secluded isn't always the best option (her poems sometimes got a bit too dark), but while I read books like Les Misérables and Jane Eyre, I tend to become more isolated and introspective.
Dickinson


While this leads me to believe that reading shapes the person, I've also always been naturally drawn towards realistic fiction. As much as I would love to fully engaged by fantasy novels, that hasn't been the case for 19 years. I love people watching, so my reading often reflects just sitting back at an airport and watching people's dynamics. Even in fifth grade, when we were taught to "expand our horizons," I curled up with Sisterhood of the Traveling Pants and felt completely satisfied with that series.


So do you think someone's personality shapes their reading, or does someone's reading shape their personality? I suppose it's one of those nature/nurture debates. And you know how I feel about nature/nurture debates. It's like walking into a candy store with a thousand dollars.

Peace and Ponies,
Kira

No comments:

Post a Comment