Friday, December 21, 2012

Tragedy Sells

Dear Kira,

To answer your question, I think that literary humor can be just as quote-unquote serious as regular, serious literature. I mean, I don't think I've ever laughed so hard as when I read Shakespeare's Midsummer's Night Dream (but maybe that's just me being a nerd). I mean, whoever said literature couldn't be funny? But I tend to disagree with you when you say that only humorous literature gets any attention; I'd like to point your attention the numerous succesful superhero film franchises. I mean, there's nothing funny about Superman, certainly not about Captain America, and the list goes on. And yet, there is something so universal about superheros. I mean, there's a reason little boys dress up as Spiderman for Halloween.

Of course, the typical superhero story is the hero quest or something of the like. In the typical superhero story, the hero has some sort of tragedy in their past that compels them to take up the mantel of righteousness or what-have-you. This has been a theme in literature since like, forever, and it's not funny either. If anything, it's tragic. In fact, I'd venture the opinion that tragedy sells even better than humor.

Not to be insensitive, but take a look at the average news channel. Whenever something horrible happens, it's plastered all over the television and everyone watches it. It's like a car accident, you can't look away. So, I pose a question to you. What is it that is so appealing about tragedy, in literature or otherwise. What makes a man in spandex tights such a cultural icon?

Merry Christmas,
Maria

No comments:

Post a Comment